How to Start the New Year
Holidays are over.
It's the new year.
Holidays are over.
It's the new year. holidays are overrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Holidays do not and cannot last forever, so stop trying to figure out how you can do that. I don't care who you are and how good your job is - it's hard work getting back into it. And don't give me the ole "I love what I do and it doesn't feel like work" bullshit. Holidays are awesome, sleeping in, eating whatever you want when you want, drinking, no house cleaning, swimming, afternoon nap, pretending chips and dip count as dinner, not giving two hoots if the kids are on "screens" all day or in the sun burning to a crisp all day, not opening mail, or emails or replying to anyone if you don't feel like it..... holidays are awesome.
Alas. It's 2016. It's time.
So this morning, day 2 of me being back at work and I found myself sitting here writing over and over "things to do, things to do". Yes I have things to do, I know that, but I am seriously struggling!! Yesterday I spent a good hour decorating my diary! I feel like a petulant child, seriously feel like having a no no no hissy fit.
So, as a self employed sole trader, how do you pull yourself out of this. How do you get back into it? Well, I have a few tips....
10 things to do to make your first day back at work easier:
- Make day 1 easy, put 2 items on your things to do list.
- Put your favourite music on.
- Wear your fat pants - I'm talking full elastic waist.
- Schedule a nanna nap - 27 mins.
- Get 2 lists happening, one for the real things that need to be done and one for the crazy stupid procrastinating ideas that you have. eg. enter invoices - real things list, I need to build a new chookhouse - stupid procrastinating ideas.
- Stay off social media platforms - seriously, don't do the "I'll just quickly check instagram" nek minut it's two hours later and your stalking all three Hemsworth brothers and their cousins.
- Drink as much coffee as your body can handle, start early.
- Laugh at your crazy procrastinating thoughts as they pop into your head and then beat them off with a stick, fight it, look at your list and ONLY DO THAT.
- Pretend the zombies are coming and you need to do two more things before you run for the hills and hide in the caves - do those two more things (well well well, your to do list just sneakily turned into 4 things).
- Laugh at yourself and your immature thoughts of wanting to move to Byron and becoming a crochet bikini wearing, wanderlust babe that lives on air, sea and kale... laugh it all off, cause before you know it, your head and body will be back in the game.
Good luck peoples, the struggles are real and I'm feelin ya.